Step-by-step procedures for an exchange student planning to study at PPGE
There are two kinds of foreign students: those who will follow a complete program at PPGE (Master’s or PhD) being granted a diploma and those who will spend one or two terms as exchange students.
For those who plan to follow a complete program at PPGE (Master’s or PhD), a specific selection process takes place every year. Details about such process are made available in June each year in the following page: www.ppge.uff.br/index.php/processo-de-selecao/alunos-estrangeiros.
The information gathered on this page concerns the second group, namely, those who plan to spend one or two terms at PPGE, and which will be hosted here as “alunos especiais”, which means they will be formally enrolled but will not be granted a diploma. A “aluno especial” will be allowed to follow up to two courses (i.e. up to 120hs of classes per term, which means 8hs per week). Requirements of exceptions to that rule will be examined by the board of professors (the so-called “colegiado”).
1. Students should first read general instructions from UFF’s international cooperation office at the following page: http://www.uff.br/?q=alunos-estrangeiros-no-grupo-internacional.
3. After receiving the acceptance letter from PPGE, the student will need to choose a supervisor among PPGE professors. To make that choise, it is preferable to count on advices from PPGE’s coordinator.
4. Having received the letter, the student will be ready to fill UFF’s application procedure (www.aai.uff.br/en/node/26). An official letter of acceptance – now from the university – will be sent by e-mail and by post after such procedure is concluded. That second letter of acceptance is the one the student will need to present to Brazilian embassies in order to obtain a visa.
5. For students attending the August-December term, he/she will make his/her choices of courses during the regular enrollment period planned to take place by late June. Details of the procedure will be given at PPGE’s homepage.
6. For students attending the March-June term, enrollment is planned to take place in mid-December.